Monday, July 19, 2004

Dawn Treader's Thoughts on the 2nd Residency

The Centurions program, of which all of the bloggers on this site are members, is a one year long, distance-learning program. On two occasions, however, we meet together for a weekend of teaching and small group interaction. These are called residencies. We just finished our second residency. It started on Friday (7/16) and concluded yesterday (7/18).

I thought it would be helpful for Centurion bloggers to post their reflections of the second residency on this site. Create a new post to do it. Don't use the comments section of this post for your reflections (unless you want to comment on my reflections).

My own highlights.

- Mark Earley's talk was a highlight for me. Mark Earley (of Prison Fellowship Ministry) reminded us that our ministry is one of "teaching and touching." In other words, we need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. He talked about the notion of spiritual authority giving power to one's words. He used the example of Mother Teresa's speech at the 1994 prayer breakfast. She basically read her speech from a piece of paper and never had eye contact with the audience. She gave a lousy speech, technically speaking. Nonetheless, the power of her life made the truth of her speech hit with the force of 10 megaton bomb. The fact of the matter is, the true teacher is ALWAYS the Holy Spirit when it comes to truths about life and faith. A life well lived is something the Holy Spirit uses to add force to the words. Mother Teresa broke almost every rule for good speech making, yet her speech had a life changing impact on those who heard it.
- TM Moore's materials on worldview teaching were powerful. His handout on preparing to teach a series is something I know I will use again and again and again.
- I had a good one on one chat with Pat Nolan of PFM. As a result of that chat, I believe I will be writing and self publishing a book as part of my ministry. It will be focused on the "theology of technology"; this is not Pat's area. My chat with him gave me the idea though. He wrote a simple book about prisoner release and re-entry which has given him a great platform to speak with authority about this important topic. I was able to tell him about my company (Lightning Source), which as it turns out, printed his book. My company is the leading player in the growing "print on demand" segment of book publishing. We print and ship books on demand, kind of like a virtual warehouse of books. He and Mike Synder are interested in leveraging our technology for their materials. It was a divine appointment for both of us.
- I was encouraged by all of the Centurions who are already out there getting mud on their boots teaching worldview in their spheres. God is already at work using the Centurions.
- The panel discussion on Saturday night was riveting. Roberto Rivera continues to amaze me. For those who were there, can you imagine sharing a work cublice with a guy like that? I would come home worn out every night. Roberto's mind is remarkable. What a gift. I am glad he is on our side =)
- I was encouraged by Chuck Colson's willingness to plug our individual worldview teaching efforts on the Breakpoint radio commentary and the Breakpoint website. What an offer. I am continually impressed by Chuck Colson's intentionality in sponsoring little guys like me, and investing in the future. Colson is a great example of a Christian leader who is finishing well in the race of life. As a Centurion, I am privileged to see him a little more up close than the public. His example inspires me.
- Overall, I felt encouraged and motivated to press on with the hard work of thinking, teaching, writing, and advocating the Biblical worldview. We Centurions are a small platoon of Christians who are committed to the notion that God accomplishes big things with small armies. In God's economy, you need to "think small." That is exciting, if you ask me.

Jeff Clinton aka "The Dawn Treader"

1 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Septic Tank Cleaning Tracy said...

Greatt reading your blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Page Hit Counters