Monday, June 28, 2004

What Is Your Church Doing?

I was glad to see the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) take a strong stand on marriage at its recent general assembly in Pittsburgh.

Therefore be it resolved that the 32nd General Assembly:

Humbly call on the civil governments of Canada and the United States and all nations of the earth to act within their lawful powers and use whatever legislative and judicial instruments they deem most useful to ensure that marriage is legally defined and interpreted throughout their jurisdictions as existing exclusively between one man and woman.


My question to friends of The Cultural Commission is, how is your church taking a stand on the Biblical view of marriage?

I was commissioned, by our session, to write a letter to our members. My first draft was shot down by the session. I came out too strong in support of the Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA). The session felt that we should not "bind the conscience" of our members on a particular piece of legislation. I am okay with that, as long as we send out a letter saying something in defense of marriage. Our general assembly certainly came out strong. The session and I are re-working the letter to strip out my endorsements for the FMA.

What is your church doing? Does your church view this issue as "too political" and not touching it? Please comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Page Hit Counters