Friday, June 18, 2004

Dialog with a Christian Postmodern – Intro

This is from a recent conversation a friend of mine, whom I will call “Alex”, had with a friend whom I will call “Jane”. I share it here with his permission.
=======================================================
I thought it might be interesting to share a dialog I’ve been having with a friend of my wife who could best be described as a postmodern Christian. I think our exchange underscores the real challenge we face with those in our own ranks. As has been said many times on this site, transformation (or reclamation) of the culture must begin within and it seems as an ever daunting task, as I think this dialog will show.

First a little background info. “Jane” was a fourth generation member of a church tradition steeped in the religiosity of legalism. During her membership she was witness, and party, to much of the judgmental exclusivity that is spawned in such settings. Her judgmentalism even extended to her own husband and children who were nominal church members. Needless to say, this caused much strife within their family and the emotional scars continue today.

However, three years ago after reading The Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning, she began to see to a radically different God (of unconditional love) than the one of performance-based love she had grow up to know. This epiphany was the beginning of a spiritual quest that took her out of her church and into a local Anglican church.

Because of the scar tissue she carries from a lifetime of legalism, and the guilt she feels for her own judgmentalism, Jane is now reluctant to stand on any moral absolute other than that of tolerance.

As I think our conversation will show, Jane, like so many, reads the bible underlining the passages of the God she wants, rather than the God who is. Her God is the grey, indulgent ol’ gentleman who makes no demands, while showering affirmation and blessing His rebellious, ungrateful children. The God who says, “if you love me, keep my commandments,” “ unless you deny yourself, take up your cross daily, and follow me, you cannot be my disciple” is, in her mind, the merit-based God of her old tradition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Page Hit Counters